Sunday, December 6, 2009

The New: Thanksgiving, New Man Show, Football

I have been waiting for pictures from other photographers for pictures of Thanksgiving and the other events. I have not heard back from them, sadly, so I will have to write for now.

One thing I did get was the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zOVjmGlDIc
It is the beginning of our "New Man" Show. Enjoy.

The New Man Show is a performance which the New Man class must perform for the entire house. It is one of the many traditions at the NAC. And yes, I was one of the actors. I played the role of one of the spiritual directors when he was a seminarian (I guess I impersonate him pretty well). It was fun for me especially because I got to descend onto the stage from a lift (supposed to be in hot air balloon). The thing was a blast: we had jugglers, break dancing, impersonations, parodies, and more. I think it really brought the class together, too, which is ultimately the point of it all.
Another tradition at the NAC is (for the New Man class) to play the other seminarians in a flag football game. It is infamously titled the "Spaghetti Bowl." I played one of the linebackers. It was a very intense game, but a lot of fun, too. We almost beat the old men, which has not happened in eleven or so years. (The final score was 33 to 36). Maybe next year...
Of course, I cannot forget to write about Thanksgiving. We actually did have my favorites: mashed potatoes, turkey, stuffing, and some good pumpkin pie. For the whole meal there were somehwere around 400 people (it is a well known event for Americans living in Italy). We even had some friends from ol' Carroll County visit us! The best part for me was singing "God bless America," especially since I know now what it is like not to live there (to some degree--we still have turkey, after all). Thanksgiving, the New Man Show, and the Football--all different ways of celebrating "my home, sweet home."

Happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. The YouTube video is very good. Did one of your classmates do that? I recognized the Saturday Night Live theme music.

    Joe Langan posted a photo of the Baltimore guys with Cardinal Stafford at the Thanksgiving Dinner on his Facebook page.

    Have a blessed Advent!

    Father Ray

    ReplyDelete