Monday, August 24, 2009

Italian in Assisi, Part Two

I will be returning to Rome this coming Wednesday, to begin preparation for school in October. It has been a truly profound experience to be here in Assisi for five weeks. I have seen so much! I have visited six basilicas, three monasteries, a hermitage, and at least ten churches. I have been to two concerts, watched three firework shows, and played in two soccer games (with other Italians, might I add). And yes, with the little time I have had left, I have been studying Italian.
I am amazed at how one can learn so much in a month, particularly regarding language. The human mind is incredible!




This picture is of the chapel where St. Francis received the stigmata (the wounds of Christ).


I was recently wondering why, despite all the wonderful Italian food I have been eating, I have not gained any weight (yet). One of my seminarian brothers explained to me the reason: there are two hundred plus steps between my room and the dining hall. This means, every day, I have walked approximately up and down one thousand steps (250 x 4 trips). My legs are definitely getting a workout! It is good, though, because when I return to Rome, the main means of travel will be my legs. The more I walk now, the more I will be able to travel comfortably in Rome. There is a lot to see and do in Rome, so I better get ready for it.


Peter, from New York City, and me chilling in the shade.

I am again out of time. So I will continue this blog later, and hopefully finish the other two which I have not finished yet.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm enjoying seeing the photos and reading the journal. It's also good to see a photo of you!

    My classes at CUA begin on August 31st. Let us remember one another in prayer.

    Father Ray

    ReplyDelete